Flavio Spirito, City of Vaughan
Building Department Intern
City of Vaughan
“The OBOA gave me the knowledge that I need to perform my job every day.”
I love being a Building Official because it gives me a sense of satisfaction knowing that work is being done properly in our community. As a Building Official, I help keep developers and home owners on the same page and ensure that work is installed according to the Ontario Building Code.
I love the OBOA because the courses are instructed by qualified representatives who have a great deal of knowledge. Not only do they have the theory, but they also have the hands-on experience which some people can relate to much better than books. There are many courses that any person can take, if they wish to improve their knowledge of the Building Code.
I wish I’d known about a Building Official when I was in college because it would have been something that I would have worked towards at that time. I got started in this career by speaking to several Building Officials during my 28 years of experience in the private sector. They all said to apply for the position but there is never enough time in a day to complete the courses needed to get the job. Having being enrolled with an internship gave me the time to achieve these goals during my probation period.
Having worked in the private sector for 28 years gave me the knowledge and experience to perform my work on a day-to-day basis. I was a Foreman for 20 years and dealt with many people all at different levels.
I want to thank the City of Vaughan for giving me the opportunity as a Building Official and the OBOA for helping me achieve the goals that I needed to become a Plumbing Inspector.
- International Women’s Day profile: Barbara Waldron
- Creating a barrier-free Ontario
- Alan Shaw, City of Sarnia
- Mandy Tsang, City of Vaughan
- Don Tedford, Town of Hanover
- Adam Clarke, City of Kingston
- Mike Donnelly, City of Vaughan
- Matt Farrell, Township of Huron-Kinloss
- Fritz Enzlin, Norfolk County
- Sadia Akhter, City of Toronto
- Kyle McRae, Township of Beckwith
- Dan Halladay, Township of North Frontenac
- Troy Merriman, Town of South Stormont
- Matt Farrell, Huron-Kinloss
- Jeeva Monohara, City of Toronto
- Surindera Gupta, City of Toronto
- Barbara Waldron, The Corporation of the Township of Cramahe
- Leon Bach, Central Elgin
- Peter Slusarczyk, Innisfil
- Francois Pelchat, Kapuskasing
- Mike Leonard, Oshawa
- Holly Brown, Hamilton
- Andrew Quattrociocchi, Oro-Medonte