Prior Learning Assessment Review


Prior Learning Assessment Review

Looking for a rewarding career?

Building Officials work for Municipal building departments and oversee all building construction making sure homes, buildings and structures in our communities meet the provincial building code.

Education pre-requisites

You have a post-secondary school degree or diploma. Preferred fields of study:

  • Architecture
  • Achitectural Technology
  • Engineering
  • Engineering Technology
  • Construction Technology

If you have this educational background, then you do not need a PLAR. Foreign-trained professionals (engineers, architects) who have Canadian equivalency do not need a PLAR.


Prior Learning Assessment Review

Do you lack the education pre-requisite for certification?

You may be eligible to apply for certification through a Prior Learning Assessment (PLAR)

PLAR is a process to assess whether your experience may be accepted in lieu of required post-secondary education.

If you are interested in being assessed by the OBOA, complete the PLAR application form to start the process.

View PLAR application form