New OBOA President takes the lead for 2020, thanks outgoing President for service
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE October 9, 2019
Vaughan, Ont. – The Ontario Building Officials Association has appointed Grant Brouwer to lead the organization on the Board of Directors for the term 2020 – 2022.
“Communities across the province are growing and construction is at an all-time high, which makes the role of the Building Official more important than ever,” says Grant Brouwer. “The OBOA already has a strong foundation, thanks to past presidents, a strong board of directors and an engaged and skilled membership. For the next two years, I’m looking forward to collaborating with members, partners and stakeholders as we continue to advocate for and strengthen the role of Building Officials across the Province.”
The OBOA Board of Directors for the 2020-2021 term is as follows:
President – Grant Brouwer, Director of Building and Development & Chief Building Official, Town of St. Marys
President-Elect – Joyanne Beckett, Building Engineer, City of Hamilton
Registrar, Director – Francois Couture, Coordinator of Plans Examination, City of Sault Ste. Marie
Secretary-Treasurer Director – Shawn Merriman, Manager of Building and By-law & Chief Building Official, Town of Prescott
Vice President – Andy Jones, Chief Building Official, Town of Gravenhurst
Director – John W. Lane, Manager, Building Inspections, City of Hamilton
Director – Leslie Wright, Digital Transformation Specialist, City of Windsor
Director – Barbara Waldron, Director of Building and Planning & Chief Building Official, Township of Otonabee-South-Monaghan
Director – Clayton Seymour, Chief Building Official – City of Temiskaming Shores
Immediate Past President – Matt Farrell, Building and Planning Manager & Chief Building Official, Township of Huron-Kinloss
“I would like to thank Matt Farrell for leading the organization for the past two years and look forward to his continued work on the OBOA Board of Directors,” says Brouwer.
About the OBOA
Founded in 1956, the Ontario Building Officials Association (OBOA) supports the construction of safer, more sustainable and accessible buildings in Ontario. The OBOA delivers training and certification to Building officials, promotes uniform code application, works with industry partners, and provides a voice to policy makers with a goal to advance the Building Official profession.
For more information contact:
Priya Ramsingh, Senior Communications Lead
- March 20, 2020A message from the OBOA
- January 29, 2020The OBOA partners with the Ministry of Seniors and Accessibility to develop and deliver accessibility training for building officials
- November 25, 2019The OBOA responds to the Ministry’s proposal for a new DAA to regulate the Ontario Building Industry
- September 25, 2019Amendments to the Ontario Building Code
- August 11, 2019OBOA appoints Priya Ramsingh as Senior Communications Lead
- August 8, 2019Get the OBOA AMTS 2019 Mobile App!
- July 18, 2019Get involved in Canada’s building code development work.
- June 20, 2019Congratulations OBOA Members! Read Steven Clark’s letter to the OBOA.
- June 6, 2019Congratulations Karalee Heppner!
- June 5, 2019Land of Lakes Chapter Donates $400 to the Bath and District Lions Club